LVSun: $1 Million grant will help pay for mass shooting response

Oct 12, 2017
In The News

The federal government has awarded Nevada a $1 million grant to assist with the costs of responding to the Oct. 1 mass shooting on the Las Vegas Strip.

President Donald Trump announced the grant in a tweet: “Happy to announce we are awarding $1M to Las Vegas — in order to help local law enforcement working OT to respond to last Sunday’s tragedy.”

A gunman opened fire from the 32nd floor of Mandalay Bay onto a country music festival across the street, killing 58 people and injuring nearly 500 as some 22,000 concertgoers fled for their lives.

The grant recognizes “the hard work and dedication of law enforcement officers across Las Vegas and the state of Nevada, who worked tirelessly in the wake of the tragic shooting last week,” according to a Department of Justice news release. The money will come from emergency funds from the Bureau of Justice Assistance, officials said.

“The Justice Department is continuing to work with Las Vegas officials to address law enforcement and public safety costs related to this tragedy,” the news release said.

In a statement, U.S. Sen. Dean Heller, R-Nev., said he was “incredibly proud of our first responders who ran toward violence and chaos and undoubtedly saved many lives. As our community continues down the long road toward recovery, it’s important that Nevada has the resources it needs to rebuild, and I’m committed to working to make sure of it.”

U.S. Rep. Dina Titus, D-Nev., said law enforcement officials “have done an incredible job of coordinating and supporting efforts to secure and comfort our community since the first moments of the 1 October tragedy.”

“Like the countless acts of altruism and service that we have seen during the last 11 days, these funds will help Southern Nevada continue to heal and grow stronger,” Titus said.